Sunday 21 August 2016

Mental Health: Schizophrenia in Uganda

Schizophrenia is a mental health disorder in which the person affected has abnormal social behaviour and failure to understand what is real. Common symptoms are delusional belief, confused thinking, hearing voices, failure to engage in social situations and lack of motivation. People with schizophrenia typically have additional mental health problems such as anxiety disorder, major depressive disorders and substance use disorder. Symptoms typically come on gradually in young adulthood and last a long time. Wikipedia continues:
The causes of schizophrenia include environmental and genetic factors. Possible environmental factors include being raised in a city, cannabis use, certain infections, parental age, and poor nutrition during pregnancy. Genetic factors include a variety of common and rare genetic variants. Diagnosis is based on observed behavior and the person's reported experiences During diagnosis a person's culture must also be taken into account. As of 2013 there is no objective test. Schizophrenia does not imply a "split personality" or "multiple personality disorder"—a condition with which it has been confused with in public perception.
The 1975 survey Schizophrenia in the African countries makes the following observation about schizophrenia:
Schizophrenia in its classical form is quite rare in traditional African societies, and it appears with rapid social changes which organize societies with cultural models designed on occidental societies.
Rapid urbanization, industrialization, migration, conflict and ongoing poverty and deprivation characterize most of sub-Saharan Africa in recent decades; and it is likely that these potent risk factors for psychosis have contributed to shifts in the social epidemiology of psychosis and schizophrenia in that continent. 
This trend is reflected in the report Prevalence of delusional ideation in a district in southwestern Uganda which found that:
Higher rates of delusional ideation and higher levels of distress and preoccupation were strongly associated with urban residence.
It is interesting to conclude, the report continues, that urbanisation is significantly stressful across cultures, because these results mirror results of a study in the Netherlands.

A study Major mental disorders in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. I. Schizophrenia, schizoaffective and cognitive disorders reports a lifetime prevalence of 0.9% for Schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder. Applying 0.9% to the 2014 population of 34,900,000 in Uganda, there are an estimated 314,100 Ugandans with schizophrenia.

As I have shown throughout this blog, stigma and prejudice are associated with all forms of disability. Schizophrenia is no exception. This article, Stakeholder perceptions of mental health stigma and poverty in Uganda, discusses the burden of stigma for all people involved with schizophrenia. The article concludes:
According to a range of mental health stakeholders in Uganda, there is a strong interrelationship between poverty, stigma and mental illness. These findings re-affirm the need to recognize material resources as a central element in the fight against stigma of mental illness, and the importance of stigma reduction programmes in protecting the mentally ill from social isolation, particularly in conditions of poverty.
All mental health conditions besides affecting the diagnosed person have consequences for family and friends. This survey, Chronic Sorrow: Lived Experiences of Caregivers of Patients Diagnosed With Schizophrenia in Butabika Mental Hospital, Kampala, Uganda, sheds some light on the experiences of caregivers:
Our sample of 22 participants was small but representative of the feelings of caretakers for the severely mentally ill attending the national mental referral hospital. There were more females than males because the females, in this country, generally take up the role of care-giving/caretaking. It is the females who stay with the patients at home, take them to hospital and stay with them in the hospital while the men go looking for money which they provide to facilitate the care giving. This is not unusual in African communities with patrilineal kinship systems, Uganda inclusive.
Nine out of ten participants (90%) scored positive for chronic sorrow. This prevalence of chronic sorrow is similar to findings by other researchers among people experiencing different types of losses. For example among the studies that were carried out by Nursing Consortium for Research on Chronic Sorrow (NCRCS), out of 98 persons, 87 (88%) evidenced chronic sorrow (Burke, Eakes, & Hainsworth, 1999). Olwit and Jarlsberg (2014) had similar findings (88%) among the people with facial disfigurement in Uganda experienced chronic sorrow. The intense emotional experiences of chronic sorrow in this study are consistent with findings in the Western world; consisting of confusion, sadness, devastation, anger, fear and worry (Eakes, 1995). In another study, Eakes et al. (1998) found that the intensity of these feelings varied from person to person. This could be because of the mixture of the study sample, because grief-related feelings change with time, being more intense at the beginning when caretakers experience disbelief, shock, confusion and devastation but which later on abates with time. This, therefore points out the importance of health workers taking time to talk to the caregivers especially with newly diagnosed patients in hospital. This helps caretakers express their emotions/feelings and clear out any misperceptions as health-workers provide them with health education about mental illness and help them to develop positive coping strategies.
Florence Anene (left) counsels women suffering from mental illnesses
What is the experience of schizophrenia like for someone? This article, Detecting mental illness still a major hurdle in Uganda, talks about the experiences of of one woman:
In 2012, Florence Anene was just 20 years old when she got incarcerated at Bomah prison in Kitgum district after attempting to drown herself and her three children into River Ogili.
While in jail battling charges of attempted suicide, she experienced numerous epileptic attacks and psychotic incidents, which were not taken seriously.
But after six months in detention, prison authorities diagnosed Anene and found her to be suffering from severe schizophrenia; a mental illness with common symptoms like unclear perception, hallucinations, reduced social engagement and inactivity.
Thereafter, Anene was released and transferred to a World Vision mental health center in Kitgum for rehabilitation, with her three children staying at a local church for over a year.
It was discovered that Anene’s attempted suicide and murder of her children had been influenced by the loss of her husband four months before her arrest.
“After his [husband] death, I was depressed, with no job to manage the children and the needs at home,” she recalls.
Anene had met him in Mucwini sub-county during the Kony guerilla war in northern Uganda and hardly knew much about him.
“I didn’t know any of his relatives; my parents had died during the war. So, everything depended on him,” she says.
At the moment, Anene has made a full recovery and was reunited with her three children. She is now a volunteer with the Mental Health Gap Action program (mhGAP) project, a World Health Organization (WHO) initiative to scale up services for mental, neurological and substance-use disorders.
Anene specifically counsels and comforts women battling mental health illnesses. The five-year program, which is currently being piloted in the three districts of Kamuli, Jinja and Kitgum, is funded by World Vision and implemented by government.
Doctor Sheila Ndyanabangi, an official at the mental health care unit in the ministry of Health, says there are 170 mental disorder patients currently under medication, psychosocial support and reintegration in Kitgum district.
So, Anene’s touching story was just one of tales of overcoming adversity. Such initiatives where cause for celebrations as World Vision commemorated 30 years of service in Uganda; a journey that began after the 1981-1986 war that brought the current government to power.
It started with only volunteers but has now grown into a mature child-health-focused organization.
In summary schizophrenia is a mental health disorder that comes with the baggage of stigma and prejudice. It also has a profound impact on carers, often leading to depression and chronic sorrow. It is therefore important that carers be advised and offered coping strategies for their feelings about schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a disease that affects the person diagnosed and their principle carer. As such schizophrenia carries a double burden.

For more information about schizophrenia contact the Uganda Schizophrenia Fellowship (USF) and see also World Fellowship for Schizophrenia and Allied Disorders.

8 comments :

  1. Thanks for shearing about this I thinks its very hopeful post and very important post for us.thanks for your great and helpful presentation I like your good service.I always appreciate your post.
    genetic testing for mental illness

    ReplyDelete
  2. BREAKTHROUGH STORY FROM SCHIZOPHRENIA

    My name is Julia. I am a mother of two. I just want to share my experience with schizophrenia and how I got cured with Herbal medication. I was diagnosed in June 1997, My first symptoms ranges from mood swings to hallucination, odd voices asking me to do so many wrongs things, yeah, Schizophrenia caused me so much pains that I almost took my life but Hope kept me going until the day I stumbled on this blog; curefromschizophrenia.blogspot.com. I knew very little about Schizophrenia and there is no history of it in my family. I struggled with it for years, my life was filled with ups and downs, though I never thought a day like this would come but I it feels good using my experience in a positive manner to advocate for better services for users of HIPPOSIMA herbal medication. Don't lose hope, believe in yourself, soon you will smile. Feel free to write me for further information. you can also reach the Dr. via the email address on the blog. I wish you best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. VICTORY FROM 23YEARS SHIZOPHRENIA

    To everyone of you reading this, I pray to God you find breakthrough someday like I did. It’s not longer news that the stigma and discrimination attached to having a mental illness is harder to cope with than the illness itself. Yes, when I had Schizophrenia for 23years, there is never a time I was perceived as being a gentle caring person. I developed schizophrenia so early and the changes were difficult to measure. Horrible Voices, mood swings and delusions and hallucinations play out their effect on me so constantly that they became part of the essence of who I am. I felt something I could not publicly air, it’s nothing anyway; we all have overt or latent prejudices. I spent so much time in and out of psychiatric wards. It was not easy I must confess. I can't think of a time when I wasn't plagued with hallucinations, delusions, and paranoia. At times, I feel like the operator in my brain just doesn't get the message to the right people. It can be very confusing to have to deal with different people in my head. When I become fragmented in my thinking, I start to have my worst problems. I was hospitalized because of this illness many times, sometimes for as long as 3 to 5 months. I began wearing the same clothes each day and seldom bathed. I remember telling my colleagues at my work place that the world is coming to an end; we should take some months off so we can bring it back. Any contribution they have, it should be in writing because there are cameras everywhere. It was funny how no other person knows this except me, yet no one seems to look at things from my point. I was in this lake for years; I thought I was never going to live happy again because I scared almost everyone close to me away. To surmount the whole story, I came across a testimony of someone who had similar symptoms, she understood so well that she made me find reasons to get rid of it by using Herbal medicine, she also promise to refund my money if it doesn't work. Surprisingly, the amount I was charged isn't half the money I have spent on drugs most especially, Clozaril which I was told never to take a day off without. I placed my order for HIPPOSSIMA, from my finding that is the name of the Herbal medicine. It was a miracle how the symptoms drastically reduced just after 5weeks of use. Today, my schizophrenic story is now history. For inquiries, you can reach the doctor via: gregoryalhodgson@gmail.com. Or visit: curefromschizophrenia.blogspot.com. I made it thru and so can you! Though it is not easy, but it’s worth fighting for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking for natural medicine to schizophrenia without any side effect Dr. Williams is the best because it has no side effect, After my son being diagnosed of schizophrenia in 2010, I have used numerous medicine for him with no improvement. He spent most of the summer in the hospital. I remember him feeling abandoned and terrified of the many injection needles that seemed necessary to keep him calm. All Western Medicine used in the past did not have any noticeable difference,one day as i was going through the internet i came across so many people with different disease testifying about dr williams herbal remedies,i ordered for it on line,that's when he started using dr williams Herbal Medicine,and now is completely cured from schizophrenia , his medicine is a permanent cure to schizophrenia, for more info contact (drwilliams098675@gmail.com for advice and for his product

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Shelley from Los Angeles,California, I want to testify on how i got cured from schizophrenia, I have suffered from  schizophrenia since the year 2011 with so mush pain,that i have to spend so mush money getting pain relief in the hospital, and I have visited several doctor ,but all to no avail, my world was gradually coming to an end because of the repetitive movements anxiety   and pain , until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal Dr Williams  who use herbal portion in curing people from different kind of diseases including schizophrenia, at first i doubted if it we be able to cure me, but i decided to give it a try, when i contacted this herbal doctor  via his email, he prepared a herbal portion and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed, i was completely free from schizophrenia just for 1 months of usage,i we recommend this to all my friend family in the world today who still suffering from dystonia you can contact him through his  email on drwilliams098675@gmail.com for help.  

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey friend, it is very well written article, thank you for the valuable and useful information. Keep up the good work! FYI, please check these depression, stress and anxiety related articles:

    Depression Cure

    Catatonic Schizophrenia

    Cure My Depression

    What is Schizophrenia

    Schizophrenia Myths And Facts

    Schizophrenia Symptoms

    Schizophrenia Symptoms Causes and Treatment


    You can also contact me at depressioncure.net@gmail.com for link exchange, article exchange or for advertisement.

    Thanks

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  7. So is possible that HIV Disease can be cured because I have been scammed so many times not until I came across this great man Dr Akhigbe who helped me at first I never believe all this comment and post about him and I was very sick because I have been infected with HIV/AIDS for the past two year,just last 2 months I keep reading the testimony about this man named Dr Akhigbe they said that the man is so powerful he have cured different type of diseases, I keep monitoring his post of some people about this man and I found out that he was real so I decided to give him a trial I contacted him for help and he said he was going to help me get my cure that all I needed to do was to send him money to prepare the medication after which it will be sent to me via DHL courier delivery services which I did to my greatest surprise the medication was sent to me he gave me instructions to follow on how to drink it that after  three weeks I should go for check up,after taking the medicine and follow his instruction after three weeks I went back to the hospital for another test, at first I was shocked when the doctor told me that I was  negative I ask the doctor to check again and the result was still the same negative that was how I free from  HIV VIRUS at of the shock I decided to come and share my own testimony with you for those who think there is no cure for HIV VIRUS the cure as finally come'  out stop doubting and contact Dr Akhigbe via email drrealakhigbe@gmail.com he will help you out you can also whatsApp him via +2348142454860 he is also perfect in curing DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER ,HEPATITIS A AND B,ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE, SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, PAIN IN JOINT,EPILEPSY,STROKE,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, EATING DISORDER etc believe me that deadly disease is not longer a deadly sentence because dr akhigbe has the cure.the godfather of herbal root.
    email: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com         whatsapp number.  +2348142454860  website: https://drrealakhigbe.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to say a huge thank you to Dr Williams for everything he have done in my life. I have been in tears for so many years now, having found that my husband is suffering from schizophrenia, lesion after some years of being under extreme stress., . I spent 24 hours freaking out and finally calmed down after  reading some testimony on here about Dr Williams herbal medicine to schizophrenia . The moment came and I mumbled out to my husband about Dr Williams product (with a few tears) and he was AMAZE – . He was just worried about his health, been free from this illness,  that was how will order for Dr Williams product on line , after my husband finish taking Dr Williams medicine for just within a period of one month. Will went to the doc together who confirmed that he was schizophrenia free.Thank you again for being upfront, truthful and taking this pain away from my family for more information about his product you can email him on drwilliams098675@gmail.com i hope you can also help other terrified people in a similar situation.

    ReplyDelete