Monday 13 June 2016

Children With Disabilities (CWDs)


I am researching about people with disabilities (PWDS) in Uganda. Today I was discussing the plight of children with disabilities (CWDs) with a friend. I was told that families often hide their disabled children.

To follow up our talk I did some research. It didn't take me long to find the following information:


people with disabilities are not treated very well in Uganda, (they are) often neglected and severely malnourished. Jackson Kayak Blog
It is tough for parents bringing up disabled children. I was shocked by the opening sentence of this paragraph. I think it is terrible to be surprised that the care that is a right is an exception. 


There are some surprising cases of parents taking really wonderful care of their disabled children even with no knowledge of how best to care for them, however this is the exception not the rule. Jackson Kayak Blog
 It is tragic that ignorance carries so much weight.
Some parents think their children have been cursed, some parents are ashamed of their children and some parents think they have done something wrong to end up with a disabled child.  Jackson Kayak Blog
 Disability Support Uganda (DiSU) works at grassroots challenging ignorance.
Children With Disabilities Uganda


No comments :

Post a Comment